The first of the two technical changes comes in replacing a group of components called XSAL2 that came from a third-party supplier. These unfortunately couldn’t work in the latest upcoming version of the development environment we use, so we’ve had to substitute them. They cover a wide area of work like table cells, encryption and compression and took a lot of effort to replace but you shouldn’t notice any change. Hopefully just some performance improvements in certain areas.
Secondly, we’ve changed the technology that User Roles are based on in order to improve reliability and performance when creating Users, since several sites reported problems in that area.
System Administrators will see a big difference in that they won’t be able to change an individual user’s rights directly anymore, they’ll need to have the user in a Role and change the rights of that Role instead. Therefore, all members of a Role will in future all have exactly the same rights. It was important to us that after the upgrade users wouldn’t see any change in their rights, so if they were part of a Role but had customized rights they’ll be removed from that Role. You’ll still see what Role they used to be in to make it easy to reallocate them. And we’ve made it easy for System Administrators to manage the change with a new Migration page to move large numbers of Users to Roles quickly. While we made this change we also made it possible to base a User on more than one Role, so you could have a basic Role for everybody then additional Roles for specialist rights.